Sunday, September 23, 2012

Week 4


This week in class we discussed “new media” both days.  New media includes things posted online like YouTube videos, photos, and blogs.  It can also include websites, social media like Twitter and Facebook, CD’s, DVD’s, and mp3 files.  I don’t consider new media to be “new” because it has basically been around my entire life, but it is the newest form of media and is constantly being changed and upgraded and advanced.  New media can be a great medium to use for research and can help present your research in a very informative way.  However, like any other resource, it needs to be cited.  Luckily, just like any source of information, there are plenty of places to find easy ways to cite the source.  We also learned why certain videos online with copyrighted music in them are taken down, and why some are able to be kept up.  As long as the video only plays clips of the music, and not the entire song, it does not violate copyright.  Also, parodies of songs or TV shows do not violate copyright.  We learned all of this on Tuesday, and then it was summarized again on Thursday.  I thought the summarization on Thursday was very helpful.  It also included a Dennis Rodman example, which I always appreciate.  On Thursday, we also had to hand in two of our assignments.  I thought finding the article for the reading response assignment to be very easy.  I also learned a lot for the program research assignment.  I researched business management, and I think that is what I am going to choose as my major.  It is very tough to get into Smeal College for business majors, but I think I should be able to do it.  What did guys think of the assignments so far? 

2 comments:

  1. I thought the assignments weren't to difficult and one being very interesting. I found the article on the Google Effect to be very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I don't really look at new media as new either. Its weird calling it that since we've been surrounded by it our whole lives. But I like that you mentioned how it is still important to correctly cite.

    ReplyDelete